Call for applications for Two (2) Post-doctoral Fellowships in Computing tenable at Makerere University
Call for applications for
Two (2) Post-doctoral Fellowships in
Computing tenable at Makerere University
Project Title BRIGHT: Building Research Capacity in Innovative Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D) for Sustainable Socio-economic Growth in Uganda.
Project Website: www.bright.mak.ac.ug
Start date: Immediately
Fellowship: Each post-doctoral fellow will receive a research grant of 140,000 SEK (UGX 57,400,000). The grant is expected to provide support for research costs, minor equipment, regional/international conferences, field study, and publications.
Programme outline in brief
The research-training programme is funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida). The programme is a collaboration of four institutions in Uganda and Sweden: Makerere University (Mak), Mbarara University of Science and Technology (MUST), University of Gothenburg (UGOT), and Chalmers University of Technology (Chalmers) will jointly train five post-doctoral researchers. The aim of the programme is to build research capacity in innovative Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D) for sustainable economic growth in Uganda. Health and education are the two application domains that will be main focus areas.
We are seeking two highly motivated persons for post-doctoral research in Software Engineering or Informatics. You must have a PhD degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or in Informatics, or in an equivalent subject. In addition to the post-doctoral research, the responsibilities of a post-doc also include advising Master and PhD students in the BRIGHT project, participation in the Software Systems Center activities and actively participating in the writing of new research grants for the sustainability of the BRIGHT project. Other responsibilities will include networking with industry and communities.
1. The post-doctoral candidates will be recruited based on excellence in scientific accomplishment and the quality of the proposed research project. Alignment of the proposed research with the project objectives, themes and PhD researchers will be highly regarded.
2. Competent faculty at UGOT, Chalmers and Mak will jointly perform reviewing and interviewing of the applications.
3. Special recruitment efforts will be made to ensure gender equality within the program.
1. The applicant must be a staff member of the School of Computing & Makerere University or Institute of Computer Science, Mbarara University
2. Applicants should preferably have completed their PhD degree within the last 5 years.
The application must be written in English and it must include two separate documents plus a copy of the applicant’s PhD thesis. Applications will be handled electronically.
The 1st document shall include:
• a short cover letter with a motivation that describes how the applicant meets the selection criteria (max. two A4 pages), and
• A curriculum vitae with the list of publications
• PhD certificate
• evidence of employment at Mak or MUST
• at least two recommendation letters from persons that are familiar with the applicant’s qualifications,
The 2nd document shall include:
• a proposal for a research topic including approach and research plan (max. four A4 pages),
• name(s) of the proposed academic promoter at Mak and/or a collaborating Swedish University with a detailed letter of support
• a copy of the PhD thesis (URL to an online PDF is sufficient)
• other documents deemed important by the applicant
1. Detailed information about the application for the fellowship can be obtained from the project website www.bright.ug
2. Electronic submission of application for the fellowship with supporting documents should be sent to the Director, Directorate of Research and Graduate Training, Makerere University; Email: email@example.com; Copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org;
3. All files should be in commonly accessible formats (such as pdf or word).
4. Application deadline is 10th december 2017 and interviews (where applicable) will be conducted 10th-17th December 2017 Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Project website: www.bright.ug